Staff - Senior Registered Nurse (RN) - Oncology - $32-50 per hour
Company: Parkland Health and Hospital System
Posted on: May 25, 2023
Parkland Health and Hospital System is seeking a Registered
Nurse (RN) Oncology Senior for a nursing job in Dallas, Texas.Job
Description & Requirements
- Specialty: Oncology
- Discipline: RN
- Start Date: ASAP
- Duration: Ongoing
- Shift: days
- Employment Type: Permanent
Interested in a career with both meaning and growth? Whether your
abilities are in direct patient care or one of the many other areas
of healthcare administration and support, everyone at Parkland
works together to fulfill our mission: the health and well-being of
individuals and communities entrusted to our care. By joining
Parkland, you become part of a diverse healthcare legacy that's
served our community for more than 125 years. Put your skills to
work with us, seek opportunities to learn and join a talented team
where patient care is more than a job. It's our passion.PRIMARY
- The RN is a licensed professional who uses the Parkland nursing
professional practice model to coordinate patient care delivery,
that focuses on a particular patient population(s)/specific health
conditions, by the health care team.
- Using the nursing process, the RN assesses the patient,
identifies nursing diagnoses based on responses to health problems,
develops and implements an individualized plan of care, and
evaluates the patient's response.
- The RN utilizes knowledge of patient needs and the healthcare
environment to assist patients to transition through the healthcare
encounter without any preventable complications or delays.
- The RN delegates interventions to health care personnel based
on the Texas Nursing Practice Act, each patient's condition and the
competencies of the employee.--MINIMUM SPECIFICATIONSEducation:
Graduate of a Registered Nursing program, Bachelor's in Nursing
Degree (BSN) preferred.Experience: Must have two years of nursing
experience. - Prefer experience in an acute care setting.Equivalent
- Must have current, valid RN license or temporary RN license
from the Texas Board of Nursing; or valid Compact RN license.
- Must have current healthcare provider CPR course completion
card from one of the following:
- American Heart Association
- American Red Cross
- Military Training Network.--Skills or Special Abilities:
- Provides care to assigned patient population in accordance with
the current State of Texas Nurse Practice Act, established
protocols, multidisciplinary plan of care, and clinical area
- Must demonstrate ability to safety and successfully perform all
responsibilities of Registered Nurse I-Oncology Services.
- Must have comprehensive understanding of chemotherapy as it
relates to indications and side effects.
- Must be able to start and discontinue intravenous access.
- Must be able to access and provide maintenance of central line
- Provides continuous assessment, consults with other team
members as required and provides nursing care which demonstrates
patient centered/patient valued care.
- Exercises independent judgment in providing nursing care.
- Must be able to demonstrate effective interpersonal skills and
possess good oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with patients,
families, and hospital staff in accordance with established
policies and procedures.
- May be required to communicate effectively, via the overhead
- Must be able to demonstrate the ability to provide direction to
non-nursing staff, serve as a preceptor, and serve on rotation as a
- Must be able to prepare and conduct in-service educational
- Must be able to demonstrate patient centered/patient valued
- As applicable, will be required to demonstrate acceptable
knowledge of nursing standards of care for specialty care
- Must satisfactorily complete the oncology orientation to all
applicable competencies.--Responsibilities1. Serves as a patient
advocate, by focusing on patient needs, patient rights,
confidentiality, and religious and cultural preferences.
- Maintains positive working relationships with all Parkland
internal and external customers, employees, etc.
- Serves as a resource for patients and other healthcare team
- Provides patient care educational information and training to
patient and family members.
- May serve as a resource for specific clinical patient care
- May participate in community outreach activities (such as
health fairs, community collaborations or outreach clinics) as
assigned.2. Maintains and implements knowledge of applicable rules,
regulations, policies, laws and guidelines that impact or govern
nursing practice, and ensures the hospital and Parkland are in
- This includes EMTALA, Order of Productive Custody, Memorandum
of Transfer and APOWW.
- Develops effective internal controls that promote adherence to
applicable state/federal laws and the program requirements of
accreditation agencies and federal, state, and private health
- Maintains and updates knowledge of sanitation, infection
control, safety, supplies, equipment, appropriate utilization of
supplies and materials.3. Performs appropriate patient assessments
meeting admission and discharge criteria, provide safe medication
administration using the patients six (6) rights, adequately
perform POC monitoring and demonstrate safe infection control
- Performs patient assessments related to cancer care and other
medical diagnosis to include allergies and hypersensitivity
reactions, physical, signs and symptoms, changes in activities of
daily living, psychosocial, support network and financial
dimensions across the continuum of care (diagnosis, treatment,
surveillance, and end of life).
- Completes appropriate documentation by maintaining accurate and
timely entries and notations in patient care records and hospital
- Ensures that all records and documents meet the standards,
goals, and objectives of Oncology Services and Parkland.4. Educates
patients, families and significant others on cancer care,
therapies, treatment side effects, interventions and prevention.
- Performs patient teaching with documented care plans that are
disease site oriented as related to phase of care across the
continuum and for discharge planning.5. Collaborates with wound
care stoma and ENT nurses for performing wound, colostomy and
tracheotomy care as directed.6. Manages telephone triage for
patients/families/other internal and external health care
professionals to optimally navigate the health care system.7. Seeks
and utilizes direction from more experienced staff and team members
- May work with other staff in providing direction to non-nursing
staff. Participates in information exchanges with nursing and other
Parkland staff that support the standards, missions, goals, and
objectives of Oncology Services and Parkland.8. Identifies ways to
improve work process and improve patient and customer satisfaction.
Makes recommendations to supervisor, implements and monitors
results as appropriate in support of the overall goals of Oncology
Services and Parkland.9. Serves as a preceptor or trainer to newer
nursing staff members. Serves as a Charge Nurse on rotation as
necessary. Serves as a role model for oncology nursing. Serves as a
resource to unit nurses.10. Stays abreast of the latest
developments, advancements and trends in nursing practice by
attending seminars/workshops, reading professional journals and
actively participating in specialty nursing organizations.
- Keeps abreast of current clinical trials relevant to the
patient population and specific cancer, communicating effectively
with clinical trial staff.
- Maintains State of Texas Licensure as a Registered Nurse, plus
any additional required licensures/certifications. Integrates
knowledge gained into current work practices.
- Prepares and conducts an in-service educational program for
Oncology Services, at least once per year.Parkland Health and
Hospital System prohibits discrimination based on age (40 or over),
race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic
information, disability, national origin, marital status, political
belief, or veteran status.Parkland Health and Hospital Systems Job
ID #678561-en_US. Posted job title: SR RN - 8A Gyn Oncology / Med
Surg - $10k Bonus!- DaysAbout Parkland Health and Hospital
SystemMissionWe will advance wellness, relieve suffering, develop
VisionWe will advance health equity through excellence as a public
Parkland's values are the principles that guide us. They are
reflected in our actions. Our values are spelled simply as I CARE.I
CARE stands for:Integrity - I will be honest, trustworthy,
authentic, humble and transparent.Compassion and collaboration - I
will provide service in a spirit of empathy, concern and love. I
will work together with others to deliver excellent care for our
community.Accountability - I will hold myself and others
responsible for performance excellence, stewardship, and will
welcome feedback.Respect - I will value the unique and diverse
experiences of others and treat everyone with kindness and
humility.Equity - I will value the diversity of patients and
colleagues and strive to promote everyone's health, dignity, and
Keywords: Parkland Health and Hospital System, Garland , Staff - Senior Registered Nurse (RN) - Oncology - $32-50 per hour, Healthcare , Garland, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...