Sr Interconnection Specialist (Remote)
Company: California ISO
Posted on: June 24, 2022
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow
of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines
that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard
the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by operating
the grid reliabily24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to
the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources
and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865
circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse
resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air
traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic
controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that
company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the
California ISO operates independently-managing the electron traffic
on a power grid we do not own-making sure electricity is safely
delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
The California ISO is committed to the health, safety, and
work/life integration of it employees and isproud to offer flexible
work arrangements.This position would be eligible to participate in
a fully remote (work from home) or hybrid remote schedule
(combination of on-site andwork from home). Relocation assistance
Under the general direction of the Manager, responsible for
assigned generator interconnection projects seeking to interconnect
to the ISO controlled grid. Manage all assigned projects in a
manner consistent with the Generator Interconnection and
Deliverability Allocation Procedures (GIDAP) tariff, ensuring that
that the ISO, the participating transmission owner and the project
sponsor(s) are following all aspects of the GIDAP tariff, providing
correct and consistent tariff interpretation as appropriate. Other
activities include the collection, review and distribution of
interconnection related information and tracking project progress
utilizing the ISO Resource Interconnection Management System
(RIMS). Participate in GIDAP policy and tariff enhancements and
internal procedure development. Independently identifies and
resolves complex issues or obstacles, and able to articulate
complex issues effectively. Provide support to other staff related
to the process.
What's In It For You
Our purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Make a
difference and impact millions of people who depend on electricity
in their everyday lives.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that
will help grow your skill set.
- You will work in an extremely collaborative environment inside
our LEED certified Folsom, California campus.
- You will be challenged, be a part of a winning team, and your
contributions will be rewarded and recognized.
What You Will Be Doing
- Manages the processing of FERC jurisdiction generator
interconnection requests under the ISO GIDAP tariff, managing all
assigned projects in a manner consistent with the GIDAP, ensuring
that that the ISO, the participating transmission owner and the
project sponsor(s) are following all aspects of the GIDAP, and
providing correct and consistent tariff interpretation as
appropriate. Processes, validates and tracks generator
interconnection applications in accordance with tariff
requirements. Tracks all projects assigned and anticipates,
identifies and resolves complex issues or obstacles, ensuring that
all required GIDAP tariff requirements are being met (timelines,
deposits, financial security deposits, data requirements, forms,
withdrawals, etc.). Informs management and legal as necessary of
any tariff related issue and proposes remediation steps to correct
- Serves as a primary point of contact for assigned projects,
resolving issues between the ISO, interconnection customers, and
transmission owners. Maintain regular communication with
interconnection customers and other stakeholders, keeping them up
to date on required milestones and project status, and provide
guidance to active and potential interconnection customers on
interconnection procedures. Schedules, and leads project scoping
and results meetings as required, developing agendas and keeping
and distributing accurate minutes.
- Serves as a subject matter expert and provides timely responses
to inquiries concerning the ISO Tariff Section 25, Appendix DD, and
S, T, U, V, W, Y Z as necessary, and associated business process
manuals. Takes initiative to identify and recommend improvements to
the ISO Tariff, business process manuals, and internal
- Prepares and present project related reports and presentations
for ISO management and external stakeholders. Provides management
with timely project updates and progress reports, including any
issues and challenges, and proposed solutions.
- Responsible for accurately tracking generator projects and
accurately maintaining the content of the ISO Resource
Interconnection Management System.
- Oversees work performed by Associate level staff and
contractors as directed by manager.
- Monitors ISO stakeholder issues and concerns, and new generator
technology and industry trends related to ISO generator
interconnection practices and procedures. Anticipates and
recommends development and/or modifications of ISO practices and
procedures as may be appropriate based on sound research into
industry trends and recent FERC rulings.
- Responsible for validating, processing, tracking, and
overseeing generation interconnection applications and study
agreements in accordance with the GIDAP tariff, business practice
manual and ISO internal procedure.
- Maintains records of all interconnection customer
Level of Education and Discipline
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training
or experience in Engineering, Project Management, Business or
- Master Degree preferred.
Amount Of Experience
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus five (5) or
more years related experience.
Type Of Experience
- Experience in interconnection of generation projects and
- Experience in project management where multiple projects were
managed at the same time, obtaining results through a project team,
preferably in the electric utility industry.
- Experience with implementing tariff procedures/requirements and
interpreting tariff language.
- Proven general customer service experience and abilities and in
guiding customers through tariff procedures/requirements.
- Proven ability to identify, communicate and resolves complex
- Proven ability to create and implement tracking procedures and
streamline processing techniques is desirable.
Additional Skills And Abilities
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as
facilitator and team member.
- Excellent analytical, verbal and written communication and
documentation skills required, with a demonstrated attention to
- Ability to use deductive reasoning and analytical thinking with
sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills are also
- Must be self-starting and willing and able to work
independently in a dynamic corporate organization under pressure of
tight deadlines and aggressive expectations.
- Self-motivated, problem solving skills and the ability to
influence others without direct authority.
- We will also consider applicants for an Interconnection
Specialistposition. This position requires a Bachelor's degree (BA,
BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Computer
Science, Electrical Engineering, or a closely related field and two
(2) years of experience.**
Keywords: California ISO, Garland , Sr Interconnection Specialist (Remote), Other , Garland, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!